Friday, September 18, 2009

Friday!

Friday USED to have meaning to me.
20 years ago it was hit the clubs on High Street in Cowtown and listen to some really good bands.
Not being much of a drinker I heard one couple that followed the same bands I did refer to me as "the coffee guy", since I pounded a lot of that in place of stronger drink.
Not that I didn't drink, I just didn't want the queasiness associated with Saturday mornings I saw so many of my friends have.
In the many years since then I've lost track of the music scene, a family life and real work taking my favorite pastime's place.
Did I say work? Friday was I would hope would be two days out of the 'salt mines', most the time I could be home, doing things that required attention at home.
But many Saturdays and way too many Sundays found me back in the plant doing the things my bosses expected but, I couldn't get to because the actual work I did consumed my 10 to 12 hour week days.
So my plant packed up the work and moved south, leaving a lot of dedicated people here, and like so many others in this country, looking for work.
I'm not gripeing about the company I worked for, 35 years is a pretty good run. A lot more then most folks have at a umber of different jobs period.
But it brings me back to Fridays...
Heck, I don't go out, I don't care about high school football, for God's sake! Doctor Who is between season right now and there isn't even anything on TeeVee I really want to see, so I guess that means I really AM old.
I guess I could just be the geek I am and pull out my Doctor Who or Babylon 5 DVD sets and watch them, or perhaps my Torchwood eps saved to the DVR.
There's always my copy of V for Vendetta, maybe I'll watch it and imagine how badly the United States needs to have the ending of that movie happen in real life.
Or perhaps I'll hit-the-hay early tonight...
Friday's are NOT what they used to be.

Okay, I said it's been 20 years since I was really out and about, and it has, but here's a song with a title of a different duration, I'll relate to no matter how many years it's been.

10 Years Gone

3 comments:

  1. The movie of V For Vendetta never got the appreciation it deserved. Love that film, and I read the comix, oh, years ago, but think it did them justice. Alan Moore is a grouch.

    That's a Prisoner Penny Farthing you have as an avatar. Now THAT was a great show. Being remade, of course, won't be as good. Nothing ever is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Gully, you are correct about The Prisoner. It still is a great show, and a new version won't work.
    I saw the original '68 on public broadcasting here in the U.S.

    I did have a picture of Number Six laying on the beach with Rover just above him.
    I was saddened to hear of McGoohan's death last year. Until then I never knew he was born in New York City.
    The 60's had some great twists and turns, and I am glad I was around to experience them.
    There were other Brit imports on U.S TeeVee back then; most notable to a preteen boy was The Avengers. If nothing else Dianna Rigg was the first woman that got my attention, and the show was fun too.

    I read Alan Moore WAS quite displeased with the movie's take on his work. But I loved the way V explained how 'the people' abdicated there responsibility and authority, turning it over to self serving politicians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really gotta watch this movie all the way through, lol.

    ReplyDelete